Syntax Error

Manatee markrrivet at aol.com
Sat Mar 19 14:00:44 EDT 2011

On Mar 19, 1:03 am, Vlastimil Brom <vlastimil.b... at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/19 Manatee <markrri... at aol.com>:
>
> > I hope this is the place to post this question. I am a really new
> > pythonista. I am studying Tkinter and when I run this basic code, I
> > get  a syntax error on line 20,  print "hi there, everyone". Its a
> > simple print line, but I can't see the problem. I am using Python
> > 2.71, gVim for an editor, and a console window to execute the program.
> > Here is the link to the website that I am trying to follow:
>
> >http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/hello-again.htm
>
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> > [...]
>
> Hi,
> the code on the mentioned page as well as yours (with adapted
> indentation and wordwrapping from the mail) seems ok for python 2.
>
> Is it possible, that you are actually using python3?
> This would give something like
>     print "hi there, everyone!"
>                               ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> as print was changed to a funcion in this version.
> print("hi there, everyone!")
>
> hth,
>  vbr

Ah, yes that's exactly what the traceback shows. Well, I know that I
am using Python 2.71 as downloaded from the python site. That's why I
didn't think there would be a version problem. However it would appear
that is the problem. I will download 2.6 and see if that fixes my
problem.

Thank you very much. From now on I will also post the complete
traceback.