PEP for module naming conventions

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Thu Mar 17 11:23:21 EDT 2011

Tim Johnson wrote:

> I need to be better informed on naming conventions for modules.  For
> instance, I need to create a new module and I want to make sure that
> the module name will not conflict with any future or current python
> system module names.

COBOL in its golden years had a practice that reserved words were almost
never hyphenated -- the few that were could be counted on the fingers of
perhaps four hands and were mostly required paragraph names that were always
used and hard to forget.

It might turn out well to specify that system module names will never
contain more than, say, one underscore.  That way, nice descriptive
application module names like 'analyzer_tool_utils' and such would always be
safe to use.

	Mel.