PEP for module naming conventions

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Mar 13 21:07:28 EDT 2011

Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com> writes:

> I need to be better informed on naming conventions for modules. For
> instance, I need to create a new module and I want to make sure that
> the module name will not conflict with any future or current python
> system module names.

You'll never be able to make sure of that, and you would be needlessly
eliminating a whole lot of potentially useful names for your modules.

Have you read and understood PEP 328, which introduces the distinction
between relative and absolute imports? It's designed to avoid the
problem your describing <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0328/>.

> There may be a PEP for this, if so, a URL to such a PEP would suffice
> for my inquiry. Also, if there is an index of PEPs, a link to such
> would also be appreciated.

PEP 0 is the index of all PEPs
<URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0000/>.

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\   Brain, but if we have nothing to fear but fear itself, why does |