OT: processes, terminals and file descriptors on *nix (was: Re: attach to process by pid?)

Alexander Kapps alex.kapps at web.de
Fri Mar 11 18:49:08 EST 2011

On 11.03.2011 03:18, Nobody wrote:

>>> It's not even a meaningful concept, let alone possible.
>>
>> Unless I misunderstand something,
>
> You do ...

Many thanks for the correction and lesson (to Grand Edwards too)!

I still try to digest your explanations. I thought, that processes
just do something like dup()'ing the file descriptors of their
terminal but after some strace experiments, I think that is totally
wrong.

I'd like to learn more about this (how processes, their controlling
terminals and the std file descriptors relate)

Do you know any links to deeper material (tried Google but what I've
found is to shallow)