Purely historic question: VT200 text graphic programming

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Mar 11 10:58:20 EST 2011

On 2011-03-11, Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> C wasn't very widely used under VMS, and VMS had it's own screen
>> formatting and form handling libraries.
>
> Just curious, what language was widely used in VMS?

>From what I remember, FORTRAN what probably the most popular.  Pascal
was also well supported and somewhat widely used (especially in
academia).  Then there was BLISS-32 for the low-level stuff.  C seemed
to be an afterthought and had a very "kludged" feel to it.  VMS's file
I/O didn't correspond very will with the C byte stream model, and C's
view of line-termination didn't play well with everything else.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Is it NOUVELLE
                                  at               CUISINE when 3 olives are