Purely historic question: VT200 text graphic programming

Martin Gregorie martin at address-in-sig.invalid
Fri Mar 11 07:01:40 EST 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 04:39:02 -0600, GrayShark wrote:

>> 	I think the order went the other way -- I think most of the ANSI
>> sequences were inherited from the VT52/VT100 terminals.
>
> Are you implying ascii came after the VT52/VT110 terminals? VT52 is a
> ascii code based piece of shit, including the backspace/return character
> set (which Windows still honors like it's a deity).

He said ANSI, not ASCII. Any, yes I think VT100 preceeded ANSI escape
codes too. ANSI codes are very similar to VT100 escape codes. I don't
remember seeing ANSI codes before the MS-DOS ANSI driver was introduced
but I'd used VT100s long before that on assorted minis and 8-bit micros.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK