Python Tools for Visual Studio from Microsoft - Free & Open Source

Patty patty at cruzio.com
Thu Mar 10 17:51:32 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: <python at bdurham.com>
To: "roland garros" <rolandgarros999 at gmail.com>; <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:03 AM
Subject: Re: Python Tools for Visual Studio from Microsoft - Free & Open
Source

> Roland,
>
>> http://pytools.codeplex.com
>
> Looks very impressive! Thank you for sharing this work.
>
> For others following this thread
>
> - this add-in to Visual Studio works with CPython 2.5 - 3.2 and is not
> dependent on .NET or IronPython
>
> - this project also brings HPC (high performance computing) and MPI
> support to CPython using the latest Microsoft API's for large scale data
> and computing
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm
> --

Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further explanation!  I
have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual Studio 2010 for the
SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic.  I would love to have this Python
tool installed under Visual Studio but a few questions:   1)  I have regular
Python installed not Cpython or Jpython or any other variant (have both 2.6
and 3.2 versions) so would that be a problem and it won't install or won't
work?  2) I saw that this was a beta, would there be an automatic
notification that there are upgrades (I mean within the software itself) or
would it be advisable for me to wait until it goes final because I am
relatively newer to Python and maybe shouldn't be mucking with a beta of
something   3) there is a message bar at the top right corner of the web
page that a certain number of people are 'following this project' Is that
where you would rely on for upgrades notifications or what exactly would you
be following as far as a 'project' of this type?

Regards,

Patty