Purely historic question: VT200 text graphic programming

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Mar 10 13:02:41 EST 2011

On 2011-03-10, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 00:38 -0600, GrayShark wrote:
>> Once, many, many, years ago, I programmed some type of 'graphical'
>> interface on a VT200 terminal (only DEC VAX/VMS programmers are going to
>> know what this is). Question. What was the library I linked against?
>> Yes, you remember, painting boxes with ascii and the superset of ascii.
>
> It was curses [ these days people typically use "ncurses" ].

Curses that can't be what the OP is referring to.

Curses wasn't a VAX/VMS thing, it was a Unix thing (that has been
ported to other platforms as well).  VMS did have it's own
text-screen-widget library sort of like curses+panel, but I don't
remember what it was called.  Some googling coughs up FMS and
DECforms.  I vageuly remember using one or the other, but that was a
long time ago (25 years).

At first first I thought he was talking about ReGIS, but that wasn't
available on the vt200 (it was on vt240/330/340).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I didn't order any
                                  at               WOO-WOO ... Maybe a YUBBA