ImSim: Image Similarity

n00m n00m at narod.ru
Mon Mar 7 07:22:02 EST 2011

On Mar 6, 7:54 pm, n00m <n... at narod.ru> wrote:
> If someone will encounter 2 apparently unrelated pics
> but for which ImSim gives value of their mutual diff.
> *** less than 20% *** please emailed them to me.

Never mind, people.
I've found such a pair of images in my .zipped project.
It's "sky1.jpg" and "lake1.jpg", with sim. value < 15%.

    sky1.jpg
--------------------
    sky1.jpg    0.00
    sky2.jpg    0.77
   lake1.jpg   14.28    <-----
  bears2.jpg   23.29
  bears3.jpg   26.60
  roses2.jpg   29.41
  roses1.jpg   31.36
     ff1.jpg   33.47
  bears1.jpg   36.60
     ff2.jpg   39.52
  water1.jpg   40.11

But funny thing takes place.
At first thought it's a false-positive: some modern South East
Asian town and a lake somewhere in Russia, more than 100 years
ago. Nothing similar in them?

On both pics we see:
-- a lot of water on foreground;
-- a lot of blue sky at sunny mid-day;
-- a bit of light white clouds in the sky;

In short,
the notion of similarity can be speculated about just endlessly.