What do I need to know in order to write a web application in python?

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:36:40 EST 2011

On Mar 5, 7:42 pm, geremy condra <debat... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:49 AM, ErichCart ErichCart <erichc... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Visual Python seems to be exactly what I want. But it doesn't seem
> > very popular. Perhaps it means that there are not many people who will
> > be able to help if I have problems with it. Also judging by the amount
> > of ads at visualpython.org, it also doesn't seem very serious.
>
> > I looked into pyGTK, and I found something called "Glade", which seems
> > to be something similar to visual python. The latest version of Glade
> > was released just this month, so it seems to be actively developed.
>
> > Regarding Boa constructor, it is very old, isn't it? The latest news
> > from this project date to the end of 2006. I don't expect it to
> > support python 3 any time soon.
>
> > So, "Glade", is this what everybody uses? I mean programmers don't
> > just use text editors to make GUI applications, do they?
>
> Yes, they do. It isn't that bad once you get used to it,

Agreed.

> and it beats
> the snot out of trying to maintain the insensible gibberish that some
> of the autogen tools put out.

I have a lot of experience with Qt Designer, I don't know about any of
the other tools:

1. Qt Designer produces sensible well-formed XML, not gibberish.
2. The whole point of the tool is that you should _never_ have to edit
the code it
   produces - if you need to extend ui designs, you do this by sub-
classing.

> On a side note, you should check out pygui[0]- very, very nice GUI toolkit.

Yay, looks good. Thanks, Greg.

John