Problems of Symbol Congestion in Computer Languages

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 5 07:43:20 EST 2011

In article <mailman.487.1298918378.1189.python-list at python.org>,
Dotan Cohen  <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>You miss the canonical bad character reuse case: = vs ==.
>
>Had there been more meta keys, it might be nice to have a symbol for
>each key on the keyboard. I personally have experimented with putting
>the symbols as regular keys and the numbers as the Shifted versions.
>It's great for programming.

People might be interested in the colorforth solution:

This goes the other way: characters are limited (lowercase
and few special chars) to what is needed for programming.
So the fingers never need to leave the home position,
reaching about 30 chars at most.
Different uses (defining a function versus using a function)
are indicated by color, so don't use up char's.

http://www.colorforth.com

I was forced to use it (a development environment required it)
and it is not as bad as it sounds.

>--
>Dotan Cohen

Groetjes Albert