2to3 and maketrans

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 4 01:49:31 EST 2011

Am 04.03.2011 03:21, schrieb Dan Stromberg:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Martin v. Loewis <martin at v.loewis.de
> <mailto:martin at v.loewis.de>> wrote:
>
>     That depends on how you chose to represent text in 2.7.
>     The recommended way for that (also with 3.x in mind)
>     is that you should use Unicode strings to represent text.
>

> For application programming, I'm sure Unicode is usually preferable.
>
> For systems programming, it's hard for me to imagine that unicode would
> normally be favored over bytes.

I think Greg Ewing was really talking about WxPython. For WxPython,
I would indeed recommend to represent text as Unicode, although
there may be backwards-compatibility concerns to support byte strings
in certain places as well.

Whether a GUI library is application programming or systems programming,
I don't know.

Regards,
Martin