Deploying on Windows servers : advice sought a module

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Tue Mar 8 12:59:56 EST 2011

We have written a cross-platform monitoring system that we have deployed
on our Linux servers and wish to put on our Windows servers too.

In the past I've played with py2exe and similar packages. However the
frequent updates to the monitoring suite mean that reinstalling an exe
for each update would quickly become onerous.

As we are used to the excellent versioning and updates provided by
Debian I'm wary of installing different packages around the internet
onto each Windows server. Is there a good way of combining packages and
dependencies into an easily-deployable, and easily-updateable unit?
Advice gratefully received.

Notes about our setup:

The Linux servers all have local installs of mercurial, python-yaml and
Python 2.6. The advantage of having mercurial locally installed on each
server is that we are making fairly frequent updates to the system and
we can easily automate the hg pull/update process.

Windows servers use Tim Golden's WMI modules and the pywin32 extensions.

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory at campbell-lange.net