Is the Usenet to mailing list gateway borked?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Thu Jun 30 14:41:07 EDT 2011

Thomas Guettler wrote:

> On 30.06.2011 03:24, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Andrew Berg wrote:
>>> […]
>>
>> As for your question in the Subject, I do not know since I am reading the
>> newsgroup.
>>
>> Therefore, however, I can tell you that the mailing list to Usenet
>> gateway is seriously borked, as missing References header fields are not
>> generated by the gateway.  As a result, there are few if any threads left
>> in the newsgroup, which makes it an increasing PITA to read.  (And no,
>> threading by Subject is a stupid idea.)
>>
>> Would someone responsible *please* fix this?  I am willing to provide
>> assistance, see also my suggestion in
>> <news:5337093.9J7NaK4W3v at PointedEars.de>.
>
> Who is responsible?

If I knew that I would not ask here.

> I think in the past there were not many broken threads. I wonder what
> changed this.

One factor, as I see it, is an increasing number of people using e-mail
clients that do not generate the References header field, as it is only a
SHOULD, not a MUST per RFC 5322, or people using mail clients that are FUBAR
(like G2, Google Groups and Mail).  But that header field is mandatory for
Network News (RFC 5536), and if it is missing you create a mess for
newsreaders (applications and people alike).  "Bugs" making a slumbering
real bug in the gateway implementation apparent.

But that appears to be only half the truth as e.g. I can retrieve none of
the messages that <mailman.524.1309439986.1164.python-list at python.org> of
15:19 GMT+02:00 today refers to, regardless from where they supposedly
originated.  I am not deleting messages locally and I have a rather fast and
reliable newsfeed, so the messages should have arrived by now.

--
PointedEars

Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.