get() attribute for Entry in Tkinter

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Jun 29 17:35:08 EDT 2011

Robert Upton wrote:

> I am in the process of generating a simple GUI that wants to read a
> string and print it to the terminal after engaging a button.  I am
> running into a problem where Python says it does not understand the
> get() attribute for Entry.

Please don't paraphrase Python's error messages. Cut-and-paste the traceback
instead. This should give something like

$ python tmp_tk.py
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1413, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "tmp_tk.py", line 6, in Test
    strVal = widgetEntry.get()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

So the value of widgetEntry is None. How could that be?

> widgetEntry = Entry(textFrame).pack(side = LEFT)

The pack() method returns None; if you need a reference to the Entry widget
you have to split that line

widgetEntry = Entry(textFrame)
widgetEntry.pack(side=LEFT)