unzip problem

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Jun 24 15:46:58 EDT 2011

Ahmed, Shakir wrote:
> Thanks once again and you are right I am trying to unzip in the network
> share drive. here is the script now: If I am doing any wrong. :
> ## code start here
>
> import zipfile
> import os
> import time
> dir1 = "T:\\applications\\tst\\py\\Zip_Process"
> test = '%s/shp'%dir1
> os.chdir(test)
> cwd = os.getcwd()
> print cwd
>

> CHUNK_SIZE = 10 * 1024 * 1024
>

> fn = open('T:\\applications\\tst\\py\\Zip_Process\\Zip\\myzip.zip',
> 'rb')
> z = zipfile.ZipFile(fn)
> for name in z.namelist():
>     ptr = 0
>     data = z.read(name)
>     size = len(data)
>     print size
>     print ptr
>     while ptr < size:
>
>         fn.write(data[ptr:ptr+CHUNK_SIZE])
>         ptr += CHUNK_SIZE
>
> fn.close()
>
> #Code done here.
>
> But got error as follows:

> 59160
> 0
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py"
> , line 325, in RunScript
>     exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
>   File "t:\scratch\shahmed\test2_new.py", line 24, in <module>
>     fn.write(data[ptr:ptr+CHUNK_SIZE])
> IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

I didn't notice this in your last post, but you are using fn as both the
zipfile name and the name of the file you are writing to.  You'll need
to create the file you want to write before you write to it (plus any
intermediate directories).

Here's the (slightly stripped) version I actually use:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
import os
from zipfile import  ZipFile

def retrieve_files(zipped, destination, files=None):
     "retrieves files from <zipped>"
     CHUNK_SIZE = 10 * 1024 * 1024
     try:
         os.makedirs(destination)
     except WindowsError:
         pass
     target = ZipFile(zipped, 'r')
     stored = dict([(k.filename.lower(), k.filename) for k in
target.infolist()])
     if files is None:
         files = [member.filename.lower() for member in target.infolist()]
     elif isinstance(files, (str, unicode)):
         files = [files.lower()]
     else:
         files = [f.lower() for f in files]
     for compressed_file in files:
         uncompressed_file = os.path.join(destination, compressed_file)
         path, filename = os.path.split(uncompressed_file)
         if not os.path.exists(path):
             os.makedirs(path)
         if filename == '__empty__':
             continue
         data = target.read(stored[compressed_file])
         fn = open(uncompressed_file, 'wb')
         ptr = 0
         size = len(data)
         while ptr < size:
             fn.write(data[ptr:ptr+CHUNK_SIZE])
             ptr += CHUNK_SIZE
         fn.close()
     target.close()

I convert all filenames to lower case since MS Windows doesn't care, but
Python does.

The test for filename == '__empty__': when I create the zipfile, if the
directory is empty I store a 0-length file named '__empty__' in that
subdirectory (actually, it only happens in the zipfile) so that I can
get the directory back later.

Hope this helps.

~Ethan~