Mac OS X 10.6.6 and MacPyhton 2.6 idle doesn't work

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Jun 23 16:52:21 EDT 2011

In article <1308852410.2257.1466520017 at webmail.messagingengine.com>,
 python at bdurham.com wrote:
> > You'll have to install Tcl yourself. The 2.6 binaries were
> compiled against a newer version than Apple ships.
>
> Does this requirement apply to Python 2.7 or Python 3.2 for the
> Mac or is this requirement Python 2.6 specific?

I don't quite understand what's going on there.  To the OP: when you say
MacPython 2.6, from where did you install it or did you build it
yourself?  In OS X 10.6, Apple ships framework versions of both Tcl/Tk
8.4 and 8.5.  Be aware that the 8.5 version shipped by Apple is known to
be very problematic with IDLE and Tkinter.  If building youself, install
the ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5 or stick to 8.4.  The most recent python.org
OS X installer for 2.6 was 2.6.5
(http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/) and should work just
fine with the Apple-supplied Tcl/Tk 8.4 or with ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.4.
More info here:

http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

--
 Ned Deily,