What is this syntax ?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jun 19 11:39:44 EDT 2011

In article <4dfe10d1$0$28053$426a34cc at news.free.fr>,
 candide <candide at free.invalid> wrote:

> OK,  thanks for your explanation, it was just stringisation !
>

> I erroneously focused on
>
> +x+
>
> as a kind of placeholder unknown to me, instead of left and right
> concatenations ;)
>
> It would be more readable for me if it were edited
>
>  >>> print '"' + x + '"' # better spacing
> "foo"
>  >>>

> or with string formatting :
>
>  >>> x="foo"
>  >>> print '"%s"' %x
> "foo"
>  >>>

This is one of the (very) few places PHP wins over Python.  In PHP, I
would write this as

print "'$x'"

which seems easier to read than any of the Python versions.  Of course,
sharp-eyed readers will notice that I inverted the single and double
quotes because

print '"$x"'

doesn't work.  If you really wanted to replicate the output exactly, you
would have to do

print "\"$x\""

by which time you'd probably run back to writing it in Python :-)