installing NLTK

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 17 16:36:19 EDT 2011

On 17/06/11 21:58:53, Nige Danton wrote:
> Mac OSX python 2.6.1: I'm trying to install the natural language toolkit
> and following the instructions here www.NLTK.org/download I've downloaded
> the PyYAML package and in a terminal window tried to install it. However
> terminal asks for my password - I've tried both my user password and admin
> password but neither is accepted. What am I doing wrong?

You're not really giving us enough information, so I'll just guess:

Are you trying a command that begins with "sudo"?

If so, then you user password should work, provided you're a member
of the 'admin' group.  To find out, type "groups" in a Terminal
window.  If the response does not include "admin" as a separate
word, then you''l have to ask someone to give you admin rights.

Otherwise, you'll have to tell us what command you are trying.
We're too lazy to download the PyYAML package, just to read the
installation instructions.

-- HansM