Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 13:43:28 EDT 2011

On Jun 14, 7:50 am, Dotan Cohen <dotanco... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:21, Elena <egarr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 13 Giu, 06:30, Tim Roberts <t... at probo.com> wrote:
> >> Studies have shown that even a
> >> strictly alphabetical layout works perfectly well, once the typist is
> >> acclimated.
>
> > Once the user is acclimated to move her hands much  more (about 40%
> > more for Qwerty versus Dvorak), that is.
>
> And disproportionate usage of fingers. On QWERTY the weakest fingers
> (pinkies) do almost 1/4 of the keypresses when modifier keys, enter,
> tab, and backspace are taken into account.
>
> I'm developing a QWERTY-based layout that moves the load off the
> pinkies and onto the index fingers:http://dotancohen.com/eng/noah_ergonomic_keyboard_layout.html
>
> There is a Colemak version in the works as well.

u r aware that there are already tens of layouts, each created by
programer, thinking that they can create the best layout?

if not, check
〈Computer Keyboards, Layouts, Hotkeys, Macros, RSI ⌨〉
xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/keyboarding.html

on layout section. Lots people all creating layouts.

also, you want to put {Enter, Tab}, etc keys in the middle, but I
don't understand from ur website how u gonna do that since it requires
keyboard hardware modification. e.g. r u creating key layout on PC
keyboard or are you creating hardware keyboard Key layout? The former
is a dime a million, the latter is rare but also there are several
sites all trying to do it. Talk is cheap, the hardest part is actually
to get money to finance and manufacture it. The latest one, which i
deem good, is Truely Ergonomic keyboard. It sells for $200 and is in
pre-order only now.

 Xah