HTTPConncetion - HEAD request

gervaz gervaz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 04:19:38 EDT 2011

On 17 Giu, 01:00, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM, gervaz <ger... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all, can someone tell me why the read() function in the following
> > py3 code returns b''?

> > b''
>
> You mean why does it return an empty byte sequence?  Because the HEAD
> method only requests the response headers, not the body, so the body
> is empty.  If you want to see the response body, use GET.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

The fact is that I have a list of urls and I wanted to retrieve the
minimum necessary information in order to understand if the link is a
valid html page or e.g. a picture or something else. As far as I
understood here http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html
the HEAD command is the one that let you do this. But it seems it
doesn't work.

Any help?

Mattia