break in a module

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jun 17 03:09:23 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:20:50 -0700, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Yes, which could be rephrased as the fact that `break` and `continue`
>> are restricted to looping control structures, so reusing `break` in this
>> context would be a bad idea.  You know, kind of like the exact point I
>> made earlier which you're trying to nitpick in another reply.
>
> No offense is intended Erik, but in my experience, when people complain
> about others nitpicking, they've usually said something which is *almost*
> correct, i.e. wrong :)
>
> Can we agree that the plain English verb "break", as in "to break out
> of", can apply to any of:

This is all great and all, but specific references earlier in the thread
were made to not just the concept of "breaking out of things," but to
the `break`, `continue` (not relevant here), and `return` keywords.  It
was these that I was discussing.

I simply pointed out why the first and last were not good ideas for
consistency reasons (the second was never proposed as a good idea).
And, most importantly, why the whole idea is not that useful to start
with; there already exist far better ways to achieve your goals that are
already supported in the language, clear, and self-documenting if used
properly.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   Do we really want to go to Mars / Do we really want to try
    -- Cassandra Wilson