os.path and Path

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 00:24:46 EDT 2011

On Jun 17, 7:55 am, Ned Deily <n... at acm.org> wrote:
> In article <ite8950... at news6.newsguy.com>,
>  Chris Torek <nos... at torek.net> wrote:

> > In article <mailman.16.1308239495.1164.python-l... at python.org>
> > Ethan Furman  <et... at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> > >Because I can't find one in either 2.7 nor 3.2, and every reference I've
> > >found has indicated that the other Path contenders were too
> > >all-encompassing.
>
> > What I think Steven D'Aprano is suggesting here is that the general
> > problem is too hard, and specific solutions too incomplete, to
> > bother with.
>
> > Your own specific solution might work fine for your case(s), but it
> > is unlikely to work in general.
>
> Note there was quite a bit of discussion some years back about adding
> Jason Orendorff's Path module to the standard library, a module which
> had and still has its fans.  Ultimately, though, it was vetoed by Guido.
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1226256
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PathModule
>
> --
>  Ned Deily,
>  n... at acm.org

A glance at these links (only cursory I admit) suggests that this was
vetoed because of cross OS compatibility issues.

This is unfortunate.

As an analogy I note that emacs tries to run compatibly on all major
OSes and as a result is running increasingly badly on all (A mere
print functionality which runs easily on apps one hundredth the size
of emacs wont run on windows without wrestling).

More OT but... When a question is asked on this list about which
environment/IDE people use many people seem to say "Emacs"

But when a question is raised about python-emacs issues eg
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/acb0f2a01fe50151#
there are usually no answers...