Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:19:54 EDT 2011

On Jun 15, 9:35 am, Dotan Cohen <dotanco... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 06:00, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For keyboarding (in the piano/organ sense) the weakest finger is not
> > the fifth/pinky but the fourth.
> > Because for the fifth you will notice that the natural movement is to
> > stiffen the finger and then use a slight outward arm-swing; for thumb,
> > index and middle, they of course have their own strength.
>
> > The fourth has neither advantage.  IOW qwerty is not so bad as it
> > could have been if it were qewrty (or asd was sad)
>
> Thank you rusi! Tell me, where can I read more about the advantages of
> each finger? Googling turns up nothing. My intention is to improved
> the Noah ergonomic keyboard layout. Thanks!

Dont know how to answer that! I only have my experience to go by :-)

If you've spent a childhood and many of your adult hours breaking your
hands on Czerny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Czerny
and Hanon eg exercise 4 http://www.hanon-online.com/the-virtuoso-pianist/part-i/exercise-n-4/
you will come to similar conclusions.

I should warn however that even for a modern electronic piano the
action is larger and heavier than a typical (computer) keyboard and
for a real/acoustic piano with a foot long slice of wood moved for
each keystroke its probably an order of magnitude heavier.

So its not exactly clear how much the experience of one carries over
to the other