Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:00:53 EDT 2011

On Jun 15, 5:11 am, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotanco... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And disproportionate usage of fingers. On QWERTY the weakest fingers
> > (pinkies) do almost 1/4 of the keypresses when modifier keys, enter,
> > tab, and backspace are taken into account.
>
> That's true on a piano too, though. My pinkies are quite accustomed to
> doing the extra work now, so whether I'm playing the church organ or
> typing a post here, they're put to good use. It's the longer fingers
> in the middle that aren't pulling their weight...

For keyboarding (in the piano/organ sense) the weakest finger is not
the fifth/pinky but the fourth.
Because for the fifth you will notice that the natural movement is to
stiffen the finger and then use a slight outward arm-swing; for thumb,
index and middle, they of course have their own strength.

The fourth has neither advantage.  IOW qwerty is not so bad as it
could have been if it were qewrty (or asd was sad)