break in a module

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 22:21:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> I have never seen code that needs this, and can't imagine why the above
> would be a good design for a module. Is there real code online somewhere
> that we can see which serves as a real example for your use case?

Unfortunately not.  Most of this line of thinking is the result of
looking at import functionality in different ways, including with
regards to the problem of modules getting imported twice (once as
__main__).  I've been doing work on multi-file modules, custom module
objects, and custom import hooks lately, so I have been exploring a
lot of the import related features.  The situation came up where I was
trying to actually apply some of that across a large package.

The use case I originally gave is the real-life one that got me
thinking about module flow control statements.  However, the situation
that led me there is not particularly wide-spread.  Keep in mind that
initially I was looking to see if there was something like return or
break for modules, and not asking that they be added.  That "expensive
module stuff" example I gave was purely hypothetical, and I haven't
really seen real code like it either.

Like I said, my main motivation is to reduce my levels of indentation
somewhat.  I was trying to see if I could apply a pattern I use in
functions and loops to modules.  Things like "I have never seen..."
are really helpful to hear, by the way, so thanks!

-eric