Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Elena egarrulo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:23:45 EDT 2011

On 13 Giu, 11:22, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Yang Ha Nguyen <cmp... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Could you show which studies?  Do they do research just about habit or
> > other elements (e.g. movement rates, comfortablility, ...) as well?
> > Have they ever heard of RSI because of repetitive movements?
>
> And did any of the studies take into account the fact that a lot of
> computer users - in all but the purest data entry tasks - will use a
> mouse as well as a keyboard? The classic "grasp mouse" sitting to the
> right of the keyboard mandates either a one-handed typing style (left
> hand on keyboard, right hand on mouse) or constant re-aiming and
> re-grasping. Or you can use a touchpad; what are the consequences of
> that on typing speed? And my personal favorite, the IBM TrackPoint - a
> stick mouse between the G/H/B keys, a design which other manufacturers
> have since copied (although IMHO the IBM/Lenovo type still beats the
> others hands down) - keep your hands where you want them and just
> reach out to grab the mouse with your index finger, or slide your
> fingers one key over (works fine if you're used to it).
>
> Typing speed depends on a lot more than just your layout, and it's
> going to be nearly impossible to narrow it down viably.
>
> Chris Angelico

Moreover, I've seen people move the mouse faster than I could achieve
the same task by keyboard.

To me, the advantage of ergonomic layout is not about speed - I'm sure
there will always be people able to type blazingly fast on any random
layout - but about comfort.  Even when typing slowly, I don't want my
fingers and my hands neither moving much more nor contorting much more
than necessary.