Keyboard Layout: Dvorak vs Colemak: is it Worthwhile to Improve the Dvorak Layout?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jun 13 21:45:27 EDT 2011

Chris Angelico wrote:

> And did any of the studies take into account the fact that a lot of
> computer users - in all but the purest data entry tasks - will use a
> mouse as well as a keyboard?

What I think's really stupid is designing keyboards with two
big blocks of keys between the alphabetic keys and the mouse.
Back when standard-grade keyboards didn't usually have a
built-in numeric keypad, it was much easier to move one's
right hand back and forth between the keyboard and mouse.

Nowadays I find myself perpetually prone to off-by-one errors
when moving back to the keyboard. :-(

--
Greg