Python Card alternatives?

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 13:02:30 EDT 2011

As you said, desktop apps are losing appeal.
I suggest looking for a web based solution. Perhaps python +
silverlight? (I haven't tried it though).
Unfortunately, the client-side (browser) is the domain of javascript.

What I'm doing is polishing my html/css skills coupled with jquery. I
have lost faith in a python solution for these tasks.
Although there's something close enough that can make your experience
totally different: Coffeescript.

This is an enhanced syntax layer on top of javascript, inspired in
python and ruby, which feels like a breath of fresh air to any python
or ruby programmer. It plays very well with jquery and gives you all
the pythonic goodies you are used to, like list comprehensions (called
array and object comprehensions), slicing, ranges, etc. Coffeescript
pre compiles your code to pure javascript so there's no performance
degradation at all.

If it does not convince you and you still prefer a python solution,
you may want to check pyjamas (a port of GWT to python).
There are also some experiments such as Skulp to have python running
in the browser, although this approach implies a serious performance
hit, since it's a full python implementation in javascript.

regards,
Luis