How good is security via hashing

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 7 14:26:14 EDT 2011

On 6/7/2011 7:35 AM, Robin Becker wrote:

> I guess what I'm asking is whether any sequence that's using random to
> generate random numbers is predictable if enough samples are drawn.

Apparently so. random.random is *not* 'cryptographically secure'.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Cryptographically_secure_pseudorandom_number_generator

One of Python's crypto wrapper modules (sorry, forget which one) was
recently modified to expose the crypto rng functions in the wrapped C
library. It should be mentioned in What New for 3.3. You might be able
to get at the same functions with ctypes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy