How good is security via hashing

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Jun 7 09:00:59 EDT 2011

Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> writes:
> I have a vague memory that the original author felt that entropy might
> run out or something like that so reading from /dev/urandom always was
> not a good idea.

If there is enough entropy to begin with, then /dev/urandom should be
cryptographically strong.  The main danger is just after the system
boots and there has not yet been much entropy gathered from physical
events.

> FreeBSD re-uses the entropy, but the end target is Solaris so I'm not
> really sure about the details of /dev/urandom.

No idea about Solaris.  Another area of danger these days is virtual
hosts, since their I/O may be completely simulated.  They are not
certified for payment card processing, mostly for that reason.