how to avoid leading white spaces

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Mon Jun 6 13:56:45 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-06, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fair enough, although if you ask me the + 1 is just as magical
> as the + 7 (it's still the length of the string that you're
> searching for). Also, re-finding the opening ' still repeats
> information.

Heh, true. I doesn't really repeat information, though, as in my
version there could be intervening garbage after the TABLE=,
which probably isn't desirable.

> The main thing I wanted to fix was that the second .index()
> call had the possibility of raising an unhandled ValueError.
> There are really two things we have to search for in the line,
> either of which could be missing, and catching them both with
> the same except: clause feels better to me than checking both
> of them for -1.

I thought an unhandled ValueError was a good idea in that case. I
knew that TABLE= may not exist, but I assumed if it did, that the
quotes are supposed to be there.

--
Neil Cerutti