how to avoid leading white spaces

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Fri Jun 3 09:17:59 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-03, rurpy at yahoo.com <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The other tradeoff, applying both to Perl and Python is with
> maintenance.  As mentioned above, even when today's
> requirements can be solved with some code involving several
> string functions, indexes, and conditionals, when those
> requirements change, it is usually a lot harder to modify that
> code than a RE.
>
> In short, although your observations are true to some extent,
> they are not sufficient to justify the anti-RE attitude often
> seen here.

Very good article. Thanks. I mostly wanted to combat the notion
that that the alleged anti-RE attitude here might be caused by an
opposition to Perl culture.

I contend that the anti-RE attitude sometimes seen here is caused
by dissatisfaction with regexes in general combined with an
aversion to the re module. I agree that it's not that bad, but
it's clunky enough that it does contribute to making it my last
resort.

--
Neil Cerutti