Something is rotten in Denmark...

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Wed Jun 1 20:50:14 EDT 2011

harrismh777 wrote:
> Allow me to clarify... I'm not speaking about whether the lambda is
> short-hand for def, ... that part of the docs I understand well!... no
> problems there.

Allow me to clarify a little further...   the docs are misleading in
that they state that the lambda can be coded (as an expression) where
the def 'statement' cannot be coded.   Well, I know, this is speaking to
the syntax rules not the binding rules, but the point is that it implies
that the lambda can be used where the def cannot... and this is where
the hypnosis takes place... we assume that something 'additional' is
happening with the lambda that is *not* happening with the def.

And the truth is that the def (save its coding syntax) is the 'same'
critter as the lambda. It seems, in fact, that the only difference is
two ... that  1) the lambda does not automatically bind to a name, and
2) the lambda is a constant expression rather than a statement.

<sigh>

thanks for listening...

m harris