Tix Combobox

peter peter.mosley at talk21.com
Wed Jun 8 08:00:19 EDT 2011

I'm writing some fairly simple code using a Tkinter GUI, and found I
wanted a Combo box.   As Tkinter does not provide one, I turned to
Tix, and struggled.  Extensive googling failed to turn up any python
specific documentation, and there was no obvious way to translate the
Tcl documentation.

Nothing worked, and usually fell over with the error message
_tkinter.TclError: unknown color name "{#c3c3c3}".  Googling this
error message seemed to suggest that this was a known bug, and that
there was no readily available fix for those of us who like
applications to work out of the box.

Is this correct? If so is there any other Tkinter based solution, or
do I need to learn a new GUI?

I'm using Python 2.6.1 under WindowsXP

Peter