simple web/html testing

Tim jtim.arnold at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:37:17 EDT 2011

hi,
I'm new to web testing and after having googled for a day and a half I
figured it might be better to ask here.

What I've got is a tree of static HTML documentation I want to test.
For example to test that

o referenced images exist and are not corrupted,
o links to files from the table of contents exist
o links to files/anchors from the generated index exist
o all internal links resolve
o filesizes do not exceed some level (say 1meg)

I also need to do some testing of htmlhelp auxiliary files (hhp, hhc,
hhk) and xml files that need to pass some schema validation. I'm
pretty sure I'll have to write that part myself, but I wondered about
using a test framework for the first set of tests. I've read about
jenkins, selenium, webtest, twill, and mechanize.

The kind of tests I need are maybe too simple for a web testing
framework, but I like the idea of automatic generation of test result
reports.

Any pointers or suggestions for this type of web testing (I guess it's
really html testing since this is static html)?

thanks,
--Tim Arnold