Windows: setting title of console window

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat Jul 30 20:07:43 EDT 2011

Thomas Jollans wrote:
> On 30/07/11 20:39, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> How it works: since the sys.argv object does yet exist, I create an
>> object and assign it to sys.argv; then, when Python assigns the actual
>> argv to sys.argv, my object is tossed, and the __del__ method is called;
>> the __del__ method is then able to access the real argv and set the
>> title bar accordingly. I put the sleep in just to avoid any possible
>> race conditions, but I'm not sure it's necessary. If you don't want to
>> see all the command-line args, you can pre-process command any way you
>> like.
>
> Why though? Can't you just call SetConsoleTitle immediately?

When you say immediately, when exactly do you mean?

I can't call it when sitecustomize first runs because sys.argv does not
yet exist.  If I call it as soon as __del__ is run (without the sleep)
then sometimes it works, but at least once it failed.  I haven't done a
lot of research into it as it hasn't failed with the bit of sleep thrown
in, and I have bigger fish to fry.  Now where did I put the tartar
sauce?  ;)

~Ethan~