Wondering in the Python Forrest

Ken Watford kwatford+python at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 09:46:39 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 7:13 AM, ray <ray at aarden.us> wrote:
> I found that structured data could be presented in Python using a module in
> wxPython.
>
> Where am I?  I do not know the relationships between the Pythons.  I
> feel that I am missing something.  I started with Python as it has so
> much functionality and a huge user group of very helpful individuals
> and sites.  Now that I have delved deeper, it seems I need different
> Pythons.

I think the name has caused you some confusion. wxPython is not a
different Python, it's a package for Python that displays GUI
components using the C++ "wxWidgets" library.

While there are other Pythons out there, for scientific work you
should have everything you need in the one you've got. You may have to
install an additional package now and then, but that's it.