PyWart: os.path needs immediate attention!

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 13:53:04 EDT 2011

On 2011.07.29 12:22 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>  * New path module will ONLY support one path sep! There is NO reason
> to support more than one. When we support more than one path sep we
> help to propagate multiplicity.We should only support the slash and
> NOT the backslash across ALL OS's since the slash is more widely
> accepted. If an OS does not have the capability to support only the
> slash then that OS is not worthy of a Python builtin module. The users
> of such OS will be responsible for managing their OWN os_legacy.path
> module. We are moving forward. Those who wish to wallow in the past
> will be left behind.
So now you propose that not only does Python need drastic changes, but a
major operating system family as well (I know Windows will accept a
forward slash in some contexts, but I'd be pretty surprised if one could
completely replace the backslash with it completely)? Interesting.

>  * Introduce a new method named "partition" which (along with string
> splitting methods) will replace the six methods "basename", "dirname",
> "split", "splitdrive", "splitunc", "splittext". The method will return
> a tuple of the path split into four parts: (drive, path, filename,
> extension). This is the ONLY splitting method this module needs. All
> other splits can use string methods.
So these pretty specifically named functions (except perhaps split)
should be replaced with one ambiguously named one? Interesting.

>  - dirname --> os.path.join(drive,path)
Now you've stopped making sense completely. Also interesting.

>  * split --> split what?
I actually agree with you on these, which I suppose is interesting.

--
CPython 3.2.1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17592 | Thunderbird 5.0
PGP/GPG Public Key ID: 0xF88E034060A78FCB