How do I access IDLE in Win7

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Wed Jul 27 12:28:31 EDT 2011

On 7/27/2011 8:38 AM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jul 27, 10:06 am, "W. eWatson"<wolftra... at invalid.com>  wrote:
>> It's been many months since I played with Python, and have forgotten how
>> to bring up IDLE. If I simply click on a py file, I see what may be a
>> dos window appear and quickly disappear.
>
> "Double-clicking" a [py|pyw] file in windows will auto run the file
> (considering you have not changed the association). So if you're
> trying to edit the file you'll want to try something else.
>
>> If I right-click on the file,
>> and select IDLE, the same thing happens.
>
> You mean "Right-Click ->  Send-To-IDLE"?
A right-click gives me two choices. Edit with IDLE or Open With. The
first produces nothing, or something so quick that I do not see it. The
second gives me a choice of python.exe, Notepad, or Choose Default
Program. None of these are helpful.

>> If I go directly to All
>> Programs, the same thing happens when I select IDLE.
>
> You mean "Start_Menu ->  All_Programs ->  PythonX.X ->  IDLE_(Python
> GUI)"? Yes typically that is how you'd run IDLE form a winders box.
Yes, that's what I do, but again the result is essentially nothing.

> If you want to edit a python script then first open an editor and then
> navigate to the file. There is also a "RightClick ->  Open-with-IDLE"
> option also but i prefer to navigate from my editor.
Edit with IDLE as above. Doesn't work. No editor appears.

> However it sounds like you may be experiencing a bug (or configuration
> issue). Can you capture the "dos" error with the print screen button
> and post it here? You'll have to be quick to catch it!
Way too fast.

> Also try to run IDLE from this path:
> ...\PythonXX\Lib\idlelib {double click PyShell.py}
It stays up for about 1/2 second.

If I run cmd.exe and work my way down to  .../idlelib, I find nothing
but idle.bat. strange. Hidden?  I can get into line mode by using
python.exe. That is, I can type in print "abc", and get a result.

Baffling.