can I use element tree for handling special characters in xml text?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jul 27 07:42:47 EDT 2011

hackingKK, 27.07.2011 13:16:
> I have been waiting a lot to ask this question and I did ask some days back
> but probably could not put it the proper way.

I assume you missed the answer you got?

> I want to know how I can safely include special characters like & or > in
> xml text?
> For example I store a small xml file containing list of organisations.
> Many names have an "&" in the name as in brian & turner.
> so the xml noad will be <orgname> brian & turner </orgname>
> But I know this won't work directly.

Yes it does. There's nothing you have to do, just put in the text and
ElementTree will handle it.

> my code naturally fails when I try to insert such data.

You may want to show us your code then. Please provide a code snippet that
shows the problem and present the output you get as well as the output you
expected.

Stefan