I am fed up with Python GUI toolkits...

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 20:51:07 EDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 07:17 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> Please everyone, do not change the subject of someone's thread
> because it's considered rude. Thank you.

Too funny.  Says who?  Changing the subject line to reflect the
direction this part of the thread (a branch if you will) is going is
definitely appropriate.  At least according to etiquette rules that go
back for some time (likely before you were around--you're pretty young
no?)

Besides forking is a time-honored open source tradition.

> What about the etiquette of staying on topic? The only person who is
> OFFICIALLY allowed to change the subject matter of a thread is the
> OP. Sure some folks might make an off topic post here and there
> however i find it bombastically rude when folks just change a topic
> of thread they do not own.

Oh really.  I guess since you are one of the leaders I guess it must be
so.  Too funny.

Fortunately not all of us are using the crippled one-dimensional
Gmail "conversation" way of reading threads on e-mails.  So as long as
the topic is appropriately changed, we can deal with branches that twist
and turn.  My e-mail reader threads them all quite nicely.

Now replying to an existing thread to start an entirely new, unrelated
thread is definitely rude.

> How would you like it if i came to your house and wrote my name on
> your refrigerator door, or used your toilet without asking, or slept
> in your bed? I would not do that because i have manners. Feel free to
> make yourself comfortable but don't put you feet on the coffee
> table.

Did you study "logical fallacies" in English classes at uni?  (If she
weighs the same as a duck then she's made of wood, and therefore she's a
witch).

And as for manners go, I'm glad to see you've improved so much in the
last year.  Who knows you might just be removed from kill files yet.