PEP 8 and extraneous whitespace

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jul 24 17:37:31 EDT 2011

Zero Piraeus <schesis at gmail.com> writes:

> :
>
> > It's also because many people report that it's easier to read text when
> > it's not wider than ~75 characters.
>
> That rule [1] is for paragraphs of prose in proportional text; code is
> both written and read differently. While there most likely is an upper
> limit, it's going to be different - larger? - for monospace text with
> varying natural line lengths whose visual structure helps you to keep
> your "place".

Code is also more densely expressive and provides less redundancy in
expression, and the reader is required to make much finer scrutiny of it
than of natural language text.

I find that the limit of line length for comfortably reading code is
significantly lower than that for English text. “Keep lines less than 80
characters” makes a lot of sense to me in that context.

--
 \            “Program testing can be a very effective way to show the |
  `\        presence of bugs, but is hopelessly inadequate for showing |