I am fed up with Python GUI toolkits...

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Jul 23 06:21:31 EDT 2011

Tim Roberts wrote:
> Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>>sturlamolden wrote:
>>
>>>Or should modern deskop apps be written with something completely
>>>different, such as HTML5?
>>
>>I hope not! HTML is great for web pages, but not
>>everything should be a web page.
>
> I don't think your glibness is justified.  There is a legitimate appeal to
> this notion.  The fact is that MANY APIs can be completely and adequately
> described by HTML.

My brain raises a TypeError on that statement. According to
my understanding of the world, describing APIs is not something
that HTML does. (Or did you mean GUI rather than API?)

There might be some sense in using something HTML-like to
describe the layout of widgets in a GUI. But laying out
widgets is only a tiny part of what's involved in creating
an application with a GUI. You still need a GUI toolkit to
provide the widgets being laid out, and application code
behind that to provide the desired functionality.

> With style sheets, you can
> get very complete control over the look and feel.

CSS is designed for graphic artists who want complete
control over every aspect of appearance. Again, this is
(arguably) okay for web pages, but I don't think it
applies to GUI applications. You *don't* want every
application looking completely different from every other
on the whim of the author -- quite the opposite.

--
Greg