PEP 8 and extraneous whitespace

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Fri Jul 22 17:17:44 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Chris Rebert's message of Fri Jul 22 16:56:15 -0400 2011:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM, John Gordon <gordon at panix.com> wrote:
> > In <98u00kFnfiU1 at mid.individual.net> Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> writes:
> >
> >> You can fit much more code per unit of horizontal space with a
> >> proportionally spaced font. As a result, that issue, while valid,
> >> is significantly reduced.
> >
> > Is it? I assume one major reason for the 80-character limit is to help
> > the poor sod who will eventually get stuck working with your code on an
> > 80-column fixed width terminal window.
>
> What environments with that limitation are still in common use?
> It's not the '70s anymore; I think we can safely increase the max
> column width a bit.

I agree. I have my tiling WM setup with two columns, giving each terminal 110
characters of breathing space. I still limit my lines to 78 chars though, if
not for any reason besides text is nice and easy to read at that width, and
everyone else is doing it. I have no reason to change. I've never desired more
characters than that.
--
Corey Richardson
  "Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves"