Use self.vars in class.method(parameters, self.vars)

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:43:44 EDT 2011

On Jul 22, 1:12 pm, caccolangrifata <caccolangrif... at gmail.com> wrote:

Totally OT but others already answered the question...

> class foo(object):

class names should start with an uppercase letter:

class Foo(object):

>         __init__(self, len = 9):

1/ you want to add a "def" statement before "__init__"
2/ the argument name ('len') will shadow the builtin 'len' function
within this function's scope.

>                 self.__myvar = len

There are very few reasons to invoke the __name_mangling mechanism.
Canonically, implementation attributes (ie: not part of the API) are
written with a *single* leading underscore. Also and FWIW, there's no
need to "hide" public attributes and add dummy accessors in Python
since you can turn a plain attribute into a computed one latter
without breaking client code, so only use _implementation attributes
if you really mean implementation.

>         def foo2(self, len = self_myvar):
>                 while i < len:
>                         dosomething

Most of the time, this is spelled:

for x in <somesquence>:
    do_something

Note that range() can provide the required sequence.

> I want to use optional parameter, so i can use
> myfoo = foo() or myfoo = foo(20)
> and also
> foo.foo2(20) or foo.foo2()

Note that default values for function params are only computed once,
when the def statement is evaluated. This is a famous gotcha,
specially if you use some mutable object as default value...

Also, since neither the class nor - a fortiori - the instance exist
when the def statement is evaluated, there's no way to make reference
to the instance at this time.