PEP 8 and extraneous whitespace

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 21 18:45:05 EDT 2011

On 7/21/2011 2:46 PM, Andrew Berg wrote:

> On 2011.07.21 01:32 PM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
>> So, the PEP says: do not align operators. End of story.
> I'm pretty sure that colons, commas and equals signs are not operators.

Whether or not they are intended, the rationale is that lining up does
not work with proportional fonts. However, I have IDLE using fixed-space
font and I line things up how I want. PEP 8 only applies to new stdlib
code. For anything else, it is advisory on a point by point basis.

--
Terry Jan Reedy