I am fed up with Python GUI toolkits...

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jul 20 00:28:06 EDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:12 pm sturlamolden wrote:

> What is wrong with them:
[...]
> 4. They might look bad (Tkinter, Swing with Jython).

Have you tried Tkinter version 8.0 or better, which offers a native look and
feel?

> 5. All projects to write a Python GUI toolkit die before they are
> finished. (General lack of interest, bindings for Qt or wxWidgets
> bloatware are mature, momentum for web development etc.)

Then you'll love PythonCard, which didn't die until after it was mature!

Actually, that's not entirely true. PythonCard is still hanging in there on
life support. Perhaps all they need is an infusion of fresh, enthusiastic
blood.

> How I would prefer the GUI library to be, if based on "native"
> widgets:
[...]
> 3. Instances of extension types can clean themselves up on
> deallocation. No parent-child ownership model to mess things up. No
> manual clean-up. Python does all the reference counting we need.

Unless you're using three of the four major Python implementations, Jython,
IronPython and (usually) PyPy.

> 4. No artist framework. Use OpenGL, Cairo, AGG or whatever else is
> suitable.
>
> 5. No particular GUI thread synchronization is needed  -- Python has a
> GIL.

Except for Jython, IronPython and PyPy.

--
Steven