Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Mon Jul 18 13:11:21 EDT 2011

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Tim Chase wrote:

>>> I agree! Which is why I set my line width to 78 columns.
>> Bah, when I started programming
>> on the Apple ][+, we had no
>> lower-case and a 40-column limit
>> on the TV display.
>> But you try and tell the young
>> people today that...
>> and they won't believe ya'.
> 40 columns? Luxury! My first computer was a Hewlett Packard 28S handheld
> programmable calculator, with 22 columns[1] and 32 entire kilobytes of
> memory!
>
> (I don't include my previous programmable calculator, a Casio, or was it a
> Canon, as the programming language included wasn't Turing Complete.)
>

> [1] I think it was 22 columns -- that's what my HP 48GX has, and I'm sure
> the 28S screen was no larger.

My first programmable calculator had 1.5k of RAM, display was 13 digits
wide, and it took an optional 2k of PROM via a plugin socket on top.  I
wrote a commercially sold navigation program for that calculator.  The
program was used on ships in 1974 and later.  Later I squeezed the code
a bit and made room for a dead reckoning program and great circle
calculator.

I didn't write a cross assembler for it till after this project was
finished.  That assembler ran on a machine with 64 column display.

DaveA