Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 15:54:20 EDT 2011

On Jul 17, 1:48 pm, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me get this straight.  You want us to use tabs so that individuals
> can set their tab width to however many spaces they want, but then you
> want everybody to set their tab widths to 4 spaces.  You're
> contradicting yourself here.

In my mind people are free to use whatever width they like. A tab is a
tab is a tab. However for judging line widths we must pick one size
tab (since 8 space tabs will create longer lines than four space tabs.
This four space mandate is ONLY for determining line width. Let me
repeat. ONLY FOR DETERMINING LINE WIDTH.

How else could we decide what is truly 80 chars and what is not?